Monday, March 10, 2014

Easiest way to give your dog a pill when they are given medication


         The easiest way we have found to give our dog Rivet a pill when the vet has prescribed it was to put it inside a small ball of wet food-works like a charm!

Until this weekend...I looked up and my dog was coming toward me and had his paw favored and went to walk and whimpered. Broke my heart, instantly I grabbed him to find out what was wrong and called my husband. Some how he snagged one of his dewclaws and it was hanging and bleeding. When we got to the vets he had actually ripped his thumb away and she had to glue the skin and said the nail will end up falling off-poor baby:( He got 3 meds he has to get daily and she asked how he is with pills? I said no problem. I think she jinxed me:) she said her dog has to get injections for his medication because he nips her.

          I tried with my kids then husband many times to get him to take them and he out smarted us! when I gave him the ball he would let it fall on the floor then it would break apart and he would eat the food and leave the pill. My youngest son has been successful with leaning him back a little opening his mouth and closing it and he usually he swallows and it goes down. Not this time. He would get down and spit the pill on the floor.

Finally we resorted to peanut butter very little then he opened willingly and ate it looking at us like ok I want another.

No comments:

Post a Comment