Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Preparing your Child for College Life

    We recently toured Georgia Southern University. This is one of the colleges my son selected and was accepted. We weren't sure what to expect neither my husband or myself attended a University like this but we wanted our sons to experience it. My youngest son who is now 15 was reluctant to go but we thought it would be good to open his eyes to what was ahead.










  We started our tour getting information about the courses of Study that you could select and were interested in. My son is interested in Civil Engineering and met a really enthusiastic professor that really impressed him. He made such an impression that my son had a good feeling about this college and it started to feel like a good fit for him.
 Teachers, Professors you really do make a difference:) My son had a Physics teacher in Augusta who made a huge impression on him.
 It was fun to have him come home and talk about him-physics became his favorite class. Even though it was hard the teacher challenged him he enjoyed it.



We were told it was a small college-I have blisters to prove it is not:) Which was actually a nice surprise. Savannah is an hour away. We went there the night before for dinner it was full of people very alive and beautiful. It was Spring Break and they had a music fest it was wall to wall people. It looked like there were so many nice restaurants and shop I would like to go there during the day sometime. We were really impressed with the campus, it was clean, with beautiful landscaping and ponds with ducks.

 We use to have ducks at our pond in Tampa who would come to our pools back door and quack really loud demanding to be fed-we loved them and they would make us laugh and we would indulge them. We miss them-maybe it will help feel more like home. 





 These are the dorms.You had the choice of suites which 2 people share or small apartments which there are 4 bedrooms with usually 2 people to each bedroom.


A small basic kitchen is provided with a refrigerator, stove and a small microwave. The kids eat at the dining provided on campus which is quite impressive so this is nice for convenience or waters.
This is one of the dining restaurants I thought what a great view to eat and study. Their foods choices are pretty much anything you can think of including: Wok Entrees, Tilted Skillet, Sandwich Area, Smoothie Bar, Schwan's Soft Serve to name a few-it was like Disney.
Available 24-7. Yes they have a gym-note freshmen 15:)
I realized I did'nt take nearly enough photos-luckily my son Brandt took this one from his phone camera:)



The rooms are very plain and basic they include: the beds, desks and dressers. Which is good to know for planning what is provided and what he will need before he leaves.

The tall kid in the back  in blue is my baby Brandt who is 15-notice how much taller he is than everyone else-he towers over me and Loves it:).
His older brother Blake is in front of him. Gosh, they grow up so fast-where does the time go?



Blake allowed me one picture-I took it-Thank you Blake:) He is a really great kid-will really miss him.   I know he has an exciting life filled with great opportunities ahead of him.

1 comment:

  1. Georgia Southern U looks cozy and lovable! I think your son made a great choice in accepting that university as his go-to. The campus greens look adorable and the in-campus food place is definitely amazing with that view. I think your youngest son would do amazing work with his college experience, with the right prodding and motivation. Stay safe and healthy!

    John McDonough@ Studemont Funding Solutions

    ReplyDelete