Sunday, June 29, 2014

Garden Gems... even little gardens can produce wonder things



Even Little Gardens are plentiful!





These are fruits from our garden...technically Summer Squash:)


Now of course I need recipes to make the most of these gifts from our garden.
No Cook Summer Squash Salad with Lemon and Herbs
I saw this recipe on the cooking channel -devour the blog.

The herbs I would use are fresh thyme from my garden because it compliments lemon nicely.
I wold also a touch of salt and pepper freshly ground and some Parmesan cheese...I am getting hungry:)

  • Use a mandoline to thinly slice summer squashes in different colors of green and yellow to make this colorful, no-cook Summer Squash Salad. The squash will soften after it’s topped with lemon juice, olive oil and herbs.
My Mom use to slice summer squash about a 1/2 of inch thick and parboil them for about 4 minutes-drain. Then  add a couple tablespoons of butter and grated Parmesan cheese  on low heat until cheese and butter melts-really good.

I like to cut my squash into wedges and grill them. Recipe below


Ingredients: 

  • 1 lb. yellow squash wedged
  • 1 tsp.. fresh parsley, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano fresh oregano minced
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil 
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh ground Salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
Directions:
Cut summer squash into equal wedges about 3 inches long.
In a small bowl add Olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs and dried seasonings stir. Drizzle over Summer squash wedges. Place on medium low grill heat. Grill on each side for 2-3 minutes until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment