Friday, December 19, 2014

Wisdom Teeth surgery 101



 My son recently had his impacted wisdom teeth surgery. I never had this so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Have them dress comfortably-I recommend sweats.
When he was wheeled out to the car in a wheel chair-he was very loopy. When he got in the car he started making weird noises-almost humming. Then he started talking. The person before him had to come back to the doctors office because he swallowed half of his gauze minutes after leaving, so I tried to keep him from talking. He wanted to ask me questions so I had him write me...he wondered how he got in the car?
 I got him home and settled then headed to the pharmacy for his pain medicine and Ibuprophine. Anti-nausea medicine script -the doc said only fill it if needed. People that are very thin get nauseas. He said-my son felt sick to his stomach  but didn't throw up so he tried to take it only twice a day-he is 180 pounds. They must have something in their stomach before taking the medicine.
The doctor recommended ice packs for both sides of his face-wrap a scarf around to hold them in place for the following day there would be swelling. Boy was he right-my son's face looked like a puffer fish:) Poor guy- I don't like to see him in pain-cannot wait until he feels better.
He refused to do the ice packs like that-he didn't want to look funny-he used different words:0
They cannot use a straw-they cannot suck.
Purchase extra gauze-my son went through all his and was still bleeding on one side-one side was definitely worse than the other.
Eating is tough,  keep in mind-when they get home they cannot feel there tongue or face when he ate it just ran down his face-I had towels for it to drip on-messy.
What he could eat was:
Chicken broth, Scrambled eggs, yogurt, milkshakes, apple sauce, jello and mashed potatoes.
The second day it is important for them to swish warm salt water 3 times. Do not do the 1st day.
It been a few days, now-he is starving and frustrated with what he can eat-last night he was able to eat rotisserie chicken in little pieces. I made him lemon chicken Greek soup-it had orzo so he didn't have to chew.
Lots of patience and comforting:)

No comments:

Post a Comment