Monday, October 13, 2014

Sweet and Savory Orange Chicken















I saw this recipe on twitter by Martha Stewart Living and I re-tweeted it replying I am going to make this this weekend my son will love it-Thank you!
She re-tweeted and contacted me asking to send pics and how it turned out.
 



Sweet and Savory Orange Chicken
Ingredients:
2 Large Egg whites
!/4 cup corn starch
¼ cup Sesame Seeds
1 tsp. coarse sea salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ pounds chicken cut stir fry style
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Sugar
4 scallions trimmed and thinly sliced.


Directions:
In a large bowl whisk together egg whites, corn starch, sesame seeds, salt and pepper until frothy. Add chicken and toss to coat.
Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
Working in batches, cook chicken until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Continue until all chicken is cooked set aside.
Wipe skillet with paper towel. Add orange juice, soy sauce and sugar. Boil over high heat until syrupy and reduced. Return chicken to skillet: add scallions and cook until heated through and coated with sauce.

Garnish with scallions.

 My family's response was:
It was good but too salty and they didn't taste the orange enough. Also could have been sweeter and the sauce thicker. 
They are comparing it to one they really enjoy at our local Chinese restaurant take out. I was excited to make this recipe because I thought if I could make it at home-I could save money.

My suggestions in response to their suggestions for the next time I make it is:
No coarse salt-the soy sauce is salty enough.
Add 1 tsp grated  orange peel.
Add 1 Tbsp Orange marmalade
1 Tbsp honey

I served it over steamed rice. I would add shredded carrots and  chopped broccoli florets-steamed.
add 1 tsp. corn starch to sauce to thicken it.

No comments:

Post a Comment