Thursday, August 7, 2014

First Day of School



  First day of School

I feel it is important to be there for my kids when they go to school. I get up and wait for them downstairs-I am usually on the computer in the kitchen. I ask if they would like breakfast. We make a little small talk. I try to find something nice to say to them to make their day start positive. It is really about being there-there is a nice feeling and comfort to that. I say I love you and have a nice day:)

Today was the first day of school for my youngest son Brandt, he is a Sophomore in High School.Tomorrow is my oldest son Blake's first day at college. I was trying to be there this morning for Brandt on his first day of school. We were talking a little waiting for it to be the time for him to catch the bus when he rubbed my back and said Mom you know Blake will come home. Mom try not to cry tomorrow. I realized he was trying to comfort me-it was the sweetest moment. Unexpected and touching...moments like this are so precious:)

I like to make homemade cookies when the boys come home on their first day-something to look forward too. My son Blake said the other day Mom you make the best cookies especially your chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies. I think it is so cute because I follow the directions on the Nestle Chocolate Chip bag and the direction on the inside cap of the Quaker Oats container. I do add an extra teaspoon of vanilla to both (love vanilla) and an extra teaspoon of cinnamon to the oatmeal cookies and cook them for 8-9 minutes so they are soft and ooey gooey. Maybe it is the secret ingredient-LOVE:)
Today I think  will make both and bring some to the dorm tomorrow.

 My husband is funny he says he thinks of the ad when they sing its the most wonderful time of the year-when the kids go back to school:0
He likes to say that, you know he has to be tough guy and funny...but when he called last night he said he wanted to speak to Brandt-I knew it was because he wanted to talk about his first day of school:)
He said earlier this week he was looking at Groupons and realized those days are over:( meaning the whole family doing family things-things are changing fast. Guys have feelings too and I Love it when they care:0

No comments:

Post a Comment