Tuesday, August 19, 2014

You will think your in London with this Lemon Blueberry Scones Recipe


On twitter I saw this recipe tweeted by the Huffington Post and instantly thought of my son Blake who comes home for the weekends and asks what is for this meal? I try to indulge him and make his favorites and thorw in a new recipe from time to time. He recently went to London and thought he would enjoy this one-plus I needed to use up my blueberries:)


I Love his SMILE!


Lemon Blueberry Scones Recipe
Yields 8 scones
Lemon Blueberry Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 lemons, zested
Pinch of salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cold and cubed
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles a coarse sand (alternatively, if using a stand mixer, mix in butter with paddle attachment until butter is pea-sized or smaller).
In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy whipping cream and egg until well blended. Pour cream into scone mixture and mix until it comes together as a dough. Stir in the blueberries (over-mixing the blueberries will burst the berries and dye the batter purple—try to avoid this). Note: scone batter may be very thick and make it difficult to incorporate blueberries by hand. You may add the blueberries into the flour mixture before adding the cream; more blueberries may burst and dye the batter purple, but the taste will be just the same.


On a lightly floured surface, place dough and form into a circle, flattening the top until dough is roughly an inch thick. Cut dough into 8 pie-shaped pieces and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until scones are lightly browned. Allow to cool to room temperature before glazing.

My recommendations:
Use your food processor to combine-it keeps the dough  from getting too sticky.
Form the dough a little in bowl and then dump it out on a plastic lightly floured cutting board.  Gently form it into a circle and then gently roll it to the thickness desired 1 " or so you don't have to be exact.
 I cooked them for 20 minutes and they were perfect!
My son and I thought they were good but lacking a little flavor-however my husband came home and his was gone fast-I asked him did he try it and he looked at me like yeah its gone:) He really liked them.
So I adjusted my recipe as follows:
  •  adding: 
  • 1 more tablespoon  granulated sugar
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 tsp.vanilla
  • 1 tsp. honey
  • for the glaze: it was really lemony so I wanted to tone it down a little
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 Tbsp. water

No comments:

Post a Comment