Saturday, November 22, 2014

Copycat Panera Black Bean Soup‏ Recipe


I just made this soup last night it was really good. Super easy!  It was the first time I made it and would tweak it the next time. That is what I do with recipes I find. I make them, tweak them, make them again-tweak if needed until I get it perfect. Look at my notes below. Family liked it but had some suggestions which is part of my notes-we love food but want it to be delicious...strive for perfection:)

 

Copycat Panera Black Bean Soup‏ Recipe

Ingredients:

Servings:
4-6
Units: US | Metric
  • onion, finely chopped
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • celery ribs, finely chopped
  • 1/4 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • small chicken bouillon cubes
  • 1 -1 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 lemon, juice of
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

  • Directions:

    1. 1
      In a pot, combine the first six ingredients; simmer for 10 minutes.
    2. 2
      Add half a can of beans, salt and cumin; cook for 5 minutes.
    3. 3
      Puree soup (I use an immersion blender which makes it easy to do it right in the pot).
    4. 4
      Add the rest of the beans to the soup.
    5. 5
      Combine the cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water.
    6. 6
      Add the lemon and the cornstarch to the soup; cook until thickened.
    Notes:
     
     Omit the chicken bouillon and water and do 2 cups of Vegetable stock.
  •  I would switch the lemon juice  to lime-a whole lime juiced.
  • Omit the 1/2 tsp. salt.
  • Increase the cumin to 1 tsp.
  • Add 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped.
  • Add 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • Also double the recipe-it didn't make enough for my family-I have 2 hungry teenage boys.
  • Toppings for garnish: sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese shredded and chopped scallions.
  •  I served quesadillas with it-yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment