Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving Plan B-rolling with the unexpected



  I have been planning for Thanksgiving... cleaning, decorating the house, purchased the turkey on sale and put it in the deep freeze. I wait until 2 days before to buy the fresh food so it is really fresh.
It is one of my family's favorite holidays...I cook for 2 days everyone's favorites.

However, this weekend I was thrown a curve ball. As I was doing the wash-my son brings his home for college I noticed liquid below the deep freeze. I opened it and everything was defrosted-including the 21 pound turkey I had purchased.
I had to throw out everything, except the turkey-it was still cold-my husband said because it was rock solid when it went in and it was still cold-it was ok. I needed to cook it right away. So I quickly put the Turkey dinner together on the fly.  We ate it on Sunday-it was delicious but seemed weird to have it not on Thanksgiving.

So plan B is to have a Honey baked ham for Thanksgiving. My youngest son was happy he said he wanted ham anyways. Since my husband decided not to eat beef, pork, veal, etc. my boys are starting to crave it-it has been almost 5 years now. Don't worry, my husband will eat it-it is just not his first choice.  My oldest son said he won't come home now...he will- he just has to give me a hard time-he loves turkey and ham-food in general:) He just cannot resist a chance to pull my chain because he knows how much I look forward to him coming home...he does too-he is really happy when he walks in the door:)

So if you are stressing over hosting your Thanksgiving ...think of me and be Thankful your deep freeze didn't die:)
 Not to mention I have to cook 2 Thanksgiving dinners this week.

It could be worse. I am just going to roll with it and have tons of delicious food for my family to eat. I will freeze some. With 2 teenagers home this week- food will disappear fast:) This week they can not say Mom, there is nothing in this house to eat! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment