Monday, November 3, 2014

Precious Moments...the first experience of letting go of something Loved


  Recently I shared a precious moment with my son Brandt who is 15. It  all started one day a few years ago he came with came home from school with a turtle the size of a quarter. He found this turtle while walking home from the bus. I said you can keep it for a day and then we will let it go. Three years later...he was ready to let Turtle go. It was bittersweet...turtle made his room smell not so fresh:) But turtle who he never named...was the first pet he took ownership and cared for. Lately we had to keep reminding him..,.turtles tank needs to be cleaned and needs more water. If you have a pet you have to be kind and take good care of it...I reminded him. I said maybe we should let Turtle go?
He came to me the other day and said Mom I want to let turtle go. I said Why? He said I am ready but I want to go Horton Lake. I gave him a week to think about it I didn't want him to regret it.
We took turtle to Horton Lake which is huge beautiful lake. Brandt had gone fishing with his friend and family who has a boat. It was the perfect place for Turtle.
On our way to the lake turtle kept flopping in the bucket-I said is he Ok? Brandt said Mom he does this at night a lot-it keeps me awake.
When he put Turtle in the water-he just sank, I said is he ok? Brandt said Mom lets wait and watch him. I said Ok. He said he is fine he will take off. Boy was he right. Turtle looked up sort looked around and took off with a cloud of sand behind him. We waited until we saw turtle surface. Turtle was going to be just fine.
 I was worried about Brandt. We walked around for awhile and when he was ready we left. He felt like a drink so stopped and got one. I tried to be available if he wanted to talk. I gave him a few extra hugs every so often that night.
He would like to go back and go fishing and see Turtle:)

No comments:

Post a Comment