Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Old family recipe-Potato leek Soup-Thanksgiving Recipe

          
I promised I would post my Thanksgiving Recipes...here is the first one. This is an old family recipe passed on through generations. I have made this every Thanksgiving as a starter while the Turkey is in the oven. It is really delightful and filling we just have a little cup around lunch time. I make this the day before and reheat on the stove I usually add a little chicken broth because it thickens up while in the fridge-it is even better this way because all the flavors meld. It is really easy, I make it and the pie the day before because I make everything homemade and it is easier on me-I am being truthful:)The pie recipe is out of this world I'll share that tomorrow. I only make it on Thanksgiving and my family devours it.

   Potato Leek Soup
Ingredients:
3-4 Leeks chopped
½ Cup chopped onion
2 ½ Cups (3-5) Potatoes peeled and cubed
2 Celery Stalks chopped
2 Flat Leaf Italian Parsley sprigs chopped
4 Cups Swanson Chicken Broth (2 cans)
¼ Cup Butter
1 ½ Tbsps. Flour
½ Cup Heavy Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Chop top white part only discard the green leafy part. Rinse well. Cut leaks into thin slices and put in a large bowl of water and swish. Let it sit for moment and the dirt will drain to the bottom. Drain. Put between paper towels for a moment to dry them.
In a Large skillet add butter, leaks and onions and Sautee until lightly browned translucent.
 Meanwhile In a large pot add chicken broth and bring to a boil then add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
Lower heat to medium and add onion mixture to potatoes and mash well. I a small container combine heavy cream and flour and whisk until there are no lumps. Bring the potato mixture to high stirring constantly until it boils then add cream mixture stirring constantly until it thickens.  Season with freshly ground salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with salad and fresh crusty bread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment