Thursday, July 31, 2014

Mediterranean Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe

                 Greek Lemon Chicken Soup


This is one of those recipes I should come out of the kitchen was flour  all over my face liked I have been slaving in the kitchen because it is so good. You know like the old Rice Krispie cookie commercial:)
It is actually really easy and my family raves about it, they fight over who gets the last bowl. It  is actually pretty healthy and great comfort food. 
We love Greek food and were always spoiled because we had great restaurants near us until we moved to Augusta-now Atalanta and do not have any near us. So I did my best to make my own-my family says it as good as Greek Towns-yeah!

Ingredients:
1 Plain Rotisserie Chicken (traditional) or  2 Poached bone-in Chicken Breasts
12 cups chicken stock (2 boxes +2 Cans)
I box Orzo (rice shaped pasta) 2 Cups
1 ½ cups Fresh Lemon Juice (6-8) Lemons
4 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper


Directions:
In a Large Soup Pot bring 6 Cups Chicken broth to a boil. Add orzo cook 10 minutes. Add Salt and Pepper.
Remove from heat.  Add any remaining stock to orzo. Stir remove from heat.
Dissolve cornstarch in 2 cups chicken broth on low- medium heat-not too hot because you will use to temper eggs.
In a large bowl beat eggs with mixer until frothy.  Add cornstarch mixture slowly stirring constantly-you are tempering the eggs-SLOWLY-you do not want the eggs to cook or curdle. Add Lemon juice.
Over low heat slowly add egg mixture to orzo stirring constantly.
Shred White meat and add to soup. Stir on low heat and salt and pepper until desired taste and consistency.

Serve with warm Pitas or fresh bakery bread Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment